One of the current model projects, the Sorcerer in Terminator Armour, was really hacked up by a previous owner. He removed all the librarian icons–and those big honking books–and patched everything over with gobs and gobs of green stuff. There was no question that it all had to go. In fact, there wasn’t much choice either. After soaking for a few days in Simple Green, the Green Stuff pretty much fell off.
The question became, what to do instead? Without the book, there were great gaps in the armour on the right shoulder. The rest could be filed down or filled in, but that shoulder was a wreck. The answer: More green stuff, only this time, a little bit different.
Instead of rebuilding the shoulder pad, which is what the previous owner tried to do, I instead went for something more iconic for the army. Fire.
This is my first real attempt at working with green stuff. I found an excellent tutorial here, which actually looked pretty straight-forward. I made a few test pieces, with sausages of green stuff sculpted into flames. I didn’t want to start directly on the mini. If I screwed it up, I didn’t want to have to soak the thing again to get the green stuff off. I think I got the hang of it fairly quickly. The only real problem I see is that the green stuff did not dry as hard as I thought it would. I’m worried that the flame spikes may be too bendable. The paint may flake off, or the spikes may break completely. I may have to trim them all down, which would be a shame. I like the tall, lancing flames.
I also added some flames to a shot-out skull I added to the base.
Sorry, the resolution on that last image is really terrible, but you get the idea.
I’m going to try to prime it all tomorrow and see what happens.